Sunday, January 17, 2010

Housing Acceptance

I received my housing notification from Shelby, my program advisor, letting me know that I got accepted into Emmanuel College, one of the residential buildings near campus. This is great because it's one of the only options for study abroad students where you can live with the locals, as all the other options are apartment style housing about a half hour away from campus.

The way Australian dorms are set up, they're called colleges and they're essentially a community in and of itself, or so Kelly (St. Joe's study abroad advisor) tells me. Looking through the website for Emmanuel, it looks fantastic and it's only increasing my excitement to be there. The college seems like they're trying to be a home away from home, almost, with laundry service and meals three times a day for all the residents, and even a required dinner, for everyone in the college, once a week. I won't have a roommate, but that's OK with me, since I feel like I might need some alone time when I first get there to help absorb the culture shock, and it seems like the college organizes so many things where you meet the other residents.

Feelings right now? Excitement is still building up, without the sense of reality.

Aussie Confusion of the Post: a person's 'partner' is their spouse, while their 'mate' is a term for a friend.

My address: Emmanuel College
Sir William MacGregor Drive
St. Lucia, QLD 4067

No comments:

Post a Comment